What to do when joints hurt - this issue worries many people, as diseases of the musculoskeletal system, physiological or pathological, occur in everyone's life and repeatedly. Joint diseases, if they occur, last a long time, manifesting with extremely painful symptoms.
There are about 230 joints in an adult's body. They represent a unique mechanism by which bones are connected and people have the ability to change their body's position in space. It is thanks to the joints that a person can walk, move, hold objects in their hands (cutlery, mobile phones, etc. ).
When joints are healthy, few people pay attention to how they function, but over time the situation doesn't change for the better. The joints lose mobility and start to ache, forcing the person to think and take steps to correct the situation.
The main thing, when a joint hurts, is not to self-medicate, but to consult a specialist. It is he who will help in the diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment that will help to eliminate the painful symptoms and improve the functioning of the musculoskeletal system.
Don'ts for Joint Pain
When a person has joint pain, they do not always seek help from a doctor, trying to resolve the problem on their own. All kinds of medications and folk remedies recommended by friends, colleagues or advertisements are used. This treatment is not only not beneficial, it can make the problem worse.
Don'ts for joint pain:
- Use warming ointments. Often, if all the joints ache or the pain is localized to a specific location, people will start to apply heated ointments, which is fundamentally the wrong tactic. The main cause of the unpleasant symptom is inflammation and swelling. When using warming ointments, blood flow, vasodilation is increased, which further increases the inflammatory process and edema itself. For a short time, the burning sensation that occurs after using heating agents distracts the person from the pain and feels like the ointment is helping. This is a false opinion and in the future the problem will only get worse, so the use of warming ointments if the joint is painful is strictly prohibited.
- Use chondroprotectives as a treatment. Drugs designed to initially protect and restore cartilage from damage are only effective in the early stages of treating the disease. It is impractical to use them as standalone therapy, which is confirmed by experiments and clinical studies. Chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine (which are part of the preparations) - chemical compounds that form the basis of cartilage tissue, are designed to restore cells and intercellular lubrication, in addition to alleviating a person's pain. For a long time, chondroprotectors were used as a stand-alone treatment for the joints, but later they did some studies that proved that chondroprotectors are not effective in serious diseases and can only be used in the initial phase of the disease or as prophylaxis.
What to do when joints ache and how to get rid of the pain, only a doctor knows. Many drugs sold at the pharmacy as a panacea for joint disease cost a lot of money.
Applying them out of ignorance, a person will spend a lot of money in acquiring such funds and precious time that will be wasted absolutely in vain with the wrong treatment.
Many joint diseases are successfully treated at an early stage, the key being to be diagnosed in a timely manner and to begin treatment prescribed by a qualified specialist.
The main causes of joint pain
The causes of arthralgia (joint pain) are irritation of neuroreceptors located in the cartilage tissue structure, by a variety of factors that have arisen in the context of the underlying disease. If the joints in the knees and elbows ache, this could be due as much to the pathological process in them as to the usual bruise and the occurrence of an internal bruise.
The most common chronic joint disease is osteoarthritis. As a result, the hip and knee joints are affected. The disease occurs due to degenerative dystrophic disorders of the joint tissue, interarticular fluid, ligamentous apparatus.
The disease often develops in adulthood, in a context of obesity, as a result of injuries, lack of certain vitamins. The main symptom of the disease is intense pain that increases with exercise and decreases with rest.
In spondyloarthritis, the intervertebral, costal-vertebral and sacroiliac joints are affected, the person feels constant pain in the back and buttocks, which gets worse at night. Over time, the patient's posture is disturbed (the spine bent), the body temperature rises slightly, the internal organs are affected - the heart, the kidneys, the eyes.
As a result of reactive arthritis, the joints in the legs are affected, which expresses itself in acute pain, swelling, redness and fever. The disease usually occurs after transferred infections - intestinal, cold, urogenital. The disease is quite serious and requires immediate treatment.
In rheumatoid arthritis, damage occurs to the small joints of the hands and feet, knee and elbow. Symptoms of the disease are strong painful sensations in the joints, cartilage deformation, pain embarrassment in the morning, etc. The disease is dangerous for its complications, as a result of which almost all internal organs and systems are affected.
If the joint hurts, the cause could be psoriatic arthritis. The disease affects people with a genetic predisposition to psoriasis.
Almost simultaneously, these patients have skin and joint damage. Symptoms of the disease are pain in the heels, lower back, hands and fingers. In addition to pain, there are signs of redness and swelling of the tissue.
With gout and pseudogout, metabolism is disturbed, which means that salts are not excreted from the body, but deposited in the periarticular tissues. Symptoms are pain in the knee area, inflammation, tissue swelling, deformation changes in the joints, etc.
If all the joints ache, the reason could be short term, associated with taking certain medications. This manifestation is not a disease and often disappears after discontinuation or reduction in drug dosage. A similar condition can occur in the context of the use of antibacterial drugs, barbiturates, tranquilizers, hypnotics, contraceptives.
Traditional treatment for joint pain
When joints ache, how can you treat it to eliminate not only the pain but also the very cause of the unpleasant symptom? If the joint hurts and lasts for a long time, you should see a doctor and be examined first. There are several basic rules that are recommended for all patients who suffer from diseases or physiological disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
These recommendations consist of observing some rules:
- Economy regime. What to do when joints ache to relieve pain? First, you'll need to repair the damaged joint using multiple bandages, gauze cuts, or the imposition of a plaster cast.
- Exposure to cold. If the joint is damaged as a result of an injury, ice or a container of cold water can be applied to the damaged area. This can only be used with joint damage and never with cartilage tissue disease.
- If your joints hurt, what can you do to eliminate the pain? The best drugs for this are NSAIDs. You can take them for a short period of time so there are no side effects, and only as directed by a doctor. The components of these drugs act on two causes of pain at the same time - inflammation and edema. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are available in the form of pills, injections, and are found in many joint ointments.
- Using NSAIDs in the form of ointments helps when knees and shoulders, as well as the lumbosacral spine, hurt. Although ointments are agents for external use, they have a series of contraindications, therefore, before buying, you should read the medication instructions.
- The use of local joint manipulations. For ankle pain, large joint damage, injections of anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed. This therapy gives a very good and lasting result.
- Chondroprotectives can be quite effective for joint disease if used early in the disease or in combination with other means and procedures. Since many chondroprotective agents are expensive medications, it is best to take them as directed by your doctor.
- The use of folk remedies. As an adjunct therapy, folk remedies can be used at home but are not suitable as an independent treatment of the musculoskeletal system. It is good to use folk remedies between medication cycles, but strictly after consulting a physician.
What to do with joint pain so that it goes away as quickly as possible? For this, it is possible to drink an anesthetic from the group of analgesics to eliminate the pain and continue taking the resources prescribed by a specialist, according to the schedule. The course of treatment usually lasts for at least 6 months. For a complete cure, you will need a lifestyle change, nutritional correction, and exercise therapy.
Treatment with folk remedies
When joints hurt, how to treat them at home? To do this, you can use medicinal plants, make ointments, decoctions, infusions and rub with them. If the joint is painful but there is no inflammation and swelling, you can apply a burdock leaf tincture to the damaged area.
To do this, the freshly harvested leaves are crushed with a meat grinder, filled with alcohol and infused for 1 week. Then the dye is used as a compress or rub. This tincture is good for knee pain.
You can quickly relieve shoulder pain with an alcohol tincture made from a golden mustache. A tincture is prepared in advance, then applied directly to the affected area and rubbed. It is best to do the procedure before going to bed.
If the joints in the area of the hands or fingers are very painful and there is no way to see a specialist, you can prepare hand baths with the addition of baking soda every day. This will help to quickly alleviate unpleasant symptoms and reduce inflammation.
Salt deposits in the joints are well removed with the help of black radish. Fresh, succulent vegetables should be peeled, sliced and applied to the painful joint. The radish can be fixed with gauze or bandage for about 3-7 minutes. The course of treatment is 2 weeks.
It is good to apply a compress of a bay leaf decoction in the area of the hip joints. To prepare the broth, 7-8 leaves are placed in a container, 200 ml of water are poured and boiled for 5 minutes. In the finished broth, it is necessary to moisten a cut of gauze and apply it to the pain location.
In addition to using folk and medications, you need to rethink your lifestyle and normalize your sleep and rest routine. Joint pain often occurs in people who sit for a long time and move very little, so every day you need to walk, do simple exercises. This will help not only during the treatment period, but also in the prevention phase of joint problems.